Monday, December 7, 2015

Follow up with my Doctor!

HELLO!  This week was a cold one for sure.  But today was nice and our zone got together to play some sports.  But they chose ultimate Frisbee and volleyball so that they wouldn't break me again they said, ha!
So on Tuesday a member and I drove to Duke for my follow up appointment, and Sister Petersen stayed in Morrisville with a girl who is getting ready to go on her mission.  At the orthopedic center Dr. Moorman told me that I was healing well and I didn't need my sling any longer, and I could resume normal activity and that I could move on with my life! 
Of course I still have some restrictions, but I have run a few times and it feels SO good...so sore.  My PT guy, Jared, also told me I can start adding in resistance bands to my exercises and doesn't need to see me for 2 weeks because I am progressing fast enough.  I told him I could potentially be transferred the 15th and he said I would be just fine.  That was good news!  To think they told me I would need surgery...
Afterwards we had some left over time and Sister Youd who was with me took me on a little tour of Duke.  She snuck us into the gym where the basketball team was playing, we saw Duke Chapel, some dorms, statues, and walked the campus.  It was NEAT!  Definitely different than BYU-I.
Duke's Chapel
Basketball Practice
Dorms
A tender mercy of the week was being able to see 3, part member, families.  The ladies are all members and we go visit them regularly.  It has taken months, but we have been able to build up a relationship with them and they actually took initiative and invited us back over; we were so excited.  It caused me to ponder over why there is such a great emphasis placed on COMING to CHURCH.

"How does the church accomplish the Lord's purposes?  It is important to recognize that God's ultimate purpose is our progress.  His desire is that we continue from grace to grace until we receive a fullness of all He can give.  That requires more that simply being nice or feeling spiritual...on cannot fully achieve this in isolation, so a major reason the Lord has a church is to create a community of saints that will sustain one another in the strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life."
(1 Cor. 12:22)
"We do not strive for conversion to the church but to Christ and his gospel, a conversion that is facilitated by the church.  The Book of Mormon expresses it best when it says the people "were converted unto the Lord and were united unto the church of Christ."  That is why I came out and stayed on my mission.  I wasn't converted to my mission, but to HIS gospel which fully involved service, and sacrifice for the well being of others.

On top of training Sister Petersen, I have been able to go on exchanges- but double time since I have to go with each member of the companionship.  I have a Zone Phone call each Friday, a meeting with the Zone Council the first Tuesday of the month, a mission wide leadership meeting every Friday following a transfer, I get to help plan the Zone Trainings we have once a month on Wednesdays, and then this Thursday we also have our Christmas Conference with President and his wife.  OF which I will be singing in!  YAY:)  But to say we are busy is an understatement!  I would rather that than not though.
Exchanges with Sister Huang from Taiwan
Asian Snacks!

My District
I have found it a unique challenge to try and feel the spirit influence my life as we have been more busy.  It has showed me HOW important my personal studies are and my prayers each and every day- that is my life line with my heavenly father.  And when I don't put as much effort into it...I really feel the distance.  It is interesting.  But I like being able to make a goal for myself and try to improve rather than being a stagnant missionary.

A lot of people have been asking me about going home...it's like when you hit 12 weeks people get a vibe and start asking you non-stop, "Now, when do you go home?"  It hasn't been getting on my nerves, but I don't like it being brought up so often either.  I don't fear coming home, yet I don't have a desire to serve longer than my 18 month call.  I don't consider going back to Seattle 'going home.'  When I die, and meet my maker I will be home.  Going to Washington will be my next step in this life; a chance for me to apply all that I have learned and sacrificed for while on my mission in North Carolina.  So, when I return to Washington, I will still be a missionary, I will still love everyone and I will still prioritize my relationship with my Father and Savior.

I hope that you all are embracing the Season!  Enjoy your blessings and go bless others!

People love decorating with laser lights!

Love, Sister Golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment