Monday, September 14, 2015

One Year in the Field!

This week was a SUCCESSFUL one at the least. 

FUN THING:
This week the Sisters in my Zone all got to take a Self Defense class at a Tae-kwon-doe place!  The lady who taught us is a 5th degree black belt and has won worlds.  She was intense and 5 foot flat.  We had SO much fun and now when we walk around in the dark I feel much more confident;)




Weird moment:
1.) I was watching the 12-step videos last week at the library and asked the lady next to me if she wanted to watch them.  She got all loud and said that she had been saved for 36 years and people with addictions needed to cast out the devil and remove the evil from within themselves!  Okay...
2.) We were walking in a neighborhood and this Chinese lady asked us if we were Christian.  I said YES! She says, "Not Jehovah's Witnesses?" We said no that we attended the Church of Jesus Christ...and upon looking at our name tags she threw her hands up, walked back up her drive way and said "No, no thank you - bye bye!" very strange.  I left an Articles of Faith card on her door with a note that said..."christian." Ha!

Spiritual Moment!
We were about to get into our car after visiting a less active in the ward when all of a sudden I felt like we needed to tract that street.  We hadn't in the past, so we decided to do so.  We talked with several people, but never got anywhere.  One door we came to proved to us that we were MEANT to be there at that time.  A lady opens and was a little leery at first, but warmed up as we got talking.  We always try and connect with the person before spewing off stuff about the Gospel.  (Don't be a weirdo basically.)  She told us of some of the challenges that she was currently facing and when I read a scripture to her about the Lord lifting our Burdens she asked if she could have a Book of Mormon.  I almost threw one at her out of excitement, but refrained and gave it to her casually saying she would receive a lot of revelation as she prayerfully read it.  During the conversation she had gone from "yes you can try and stop by again...but I won't promise I will be home."  To "Well I am usually home nights."  And THEN after the prayer we gave for her she said, "If you come back next Thursday at 7 I will be here."  The spirit works on the people we see- so I don't need to worry about what to say or how to say it.  Because the Lord takes care of that.

We were blessed to be able to find 7 new investigators this week.  I had been really wanting to find people to teach. I was frustrated with the complacency I was feeling.  I was starting to fall into a routine rather than following the spirit day by day.  NOT GOOD.  "Once we enter into covenants with God there is no going back.  Giving in, giving up and giving out are not options.  In the kingdom of God there is a standard of excellence for exaltation. It requires valiant discipleship. There is no room for average or complacent disciples.  Average is the enemy of excellence and average commitment will prevent you from enduring to the end."  I love this quote.  And it is so true.  I don't want to be average! That scares me.  These last 6 months I want to sprint and run to the tape. 

I also am working on my meekness and humility.  I want to always be an instrument for the Lord, no matter what. 
"Meekness is the quality of those who are 'Godfearing, righteous, humble, teachable and patient under suffering. "Consistently following the Saviors example produces spiritual power and capacity.  Without the strengthening and enabling power of the Atonement it is impossible to stay on the path and endure." - Elder Pearson
When we strip away pride we are more easily accessible to the Savior, and we have greater access to the spirit.

Even though missionary work is hard, it is something that will always be fulfilling if you allow it to be. The Lord says "Praying always that they faint not; and inasmuch as they do this, I will be with them even unto the end" (D& 75:11)  I know that the Lord is there for me no matter what, and this is HIS work, and the Lord's work will go forward with or without my help.
The Edwards family from my last area sent me a care package!
Love, love, love,
Sister Golden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment