Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy New Year!

HELLO from Hampstead.  This week was a busy one- but a good one nonetheless.

Last Monday we went to Wilmington to play some sports together with some missionary friends.  It was a well needed outlet!  We played soccer...but it was a small field and everyone was like, "Don't break Sister Golden again!"  I was sore the next day, but a good sore.

Then I was able to go on exchanges down to Jacksonville and the highlight of it was seeing my sweet convert Mellisa who was baptized just over a year ago!  I know that eternal relationships are built on missions!  In heaven it will be just one big party with everyone who loves each other :)
The Jacksonville Gang!

Mellisa
In between our appointments and meetings and other missionary duties we were able to find 5 new investigators and talk baptism with some of them.  In our area book we have records of people who used to take the missionary discussions but for some reason discontinued them.  We decided to try and go contact them since it has almost been a year or more for some of them.  There was a neat experience I will share.  We tried to contact this woman who had been interested in learning more about the gospel- and when we knocked on the door a middle aged man stepped outside, gave us a huge smile and said,"HELLO!"  He was quite enthusiastic.  Ha.  We told him we were looking for this woman..who turned out to be his mother, but she was in a care home now.  We continued talking with him about family, and other things he cared about.  We then transitioned into the gospel and our purpose as missionaries.  NOW,  I have NEVER had this response from anyone on my mission, but he said, " I would invite you in...but I have family in town." *I was used to that and almost expecting it* Then he goes, "Is there a time you can come back and teach me about what you believe? I really want to learn more!"  *SHOCK!*  Sister Macrum did a double take and I had to keep my voice even to show him that I wasn't extra-excited!  So we are planning on going back and teaching him this upcoming weekend! SO that was great!

Tuesday night we drove in our jammies to Wilmington to spend the night with the Sisters there.
Some kind of portable puff up bed!
The next day, Wednesday, Sister Muder and I had to wake up at 5am, get ready, pack up, and get a ride with the elders to Raleigh at 6am. We had to drive 2.5 hours to get there...I slept in the back and the poor elders had to stay alert the whole time.  The meeting was a Missionary leadership meeting and I had to give a thought, then we talked a lot about upcoming changes.  Such as not having transfer meetings anymore, and peoples departure dates getting pushed back by a week because the MTC time is going to be restored from 2 to 3 weeks now.   So yeah.  That was interesting.  We went out to dinner afterwards and took a long car ride home.  We saw a few fireworks that way for New years;) 

This week we had a really good lesson with our investigator Ezzy in a member's home.  She is so excited to be baptized she has a count down going.  When she said the closing prayer she prayed to God and said, "Thank you so much for sending these wonderful ladies to me.  I love them for teaching me more about you and making me feel like I belong."  It was so touching!  It makes me sad to think that there are some people who live without the gospel.  It brings so much joy and satisfaction.
Cookout with the local Baptists!

Billy making fried cornbread!
I am grateful for this time I have to forget myself for 18 months and serve other people.   I have been changed for the better and I want to continue blessing others as an instrument for the Lord.

Love,
Sister Golden

No comments:

Post a Comment