Monday, June 29, 2015

10 Months!

So this past week was the 10 month mark since I entered the MTC.  WE are NOW in the double digits people! Repeat...double--digits! It is crazy, but still feels like a long time. 

Anyways! This week we got caught in 2 thunder/lightening and rain storms!  They are the summer storms the south experiences.  It isn't too fun because you get SOAKED if you're out in it for a few seconds, but also welcoming because it drastically effects the heat!  It dropped 20 degrees after both storms.  Much needed after our 100 + degree days. The only thing is that this weather really wreaks havoc on my hair!
Waiting out the storm in our car!

My hair by the end of the day, haha!
 So, I am learning many fun and interesting home-making skills along with building myself spiritually on my mission!  I have successfully grouted a laundry room floor, canned plums, made squash cookies, created curry, and do exquisite braids on little girls. 

During the week we made it a goal for ourselves to find and contact the less and inactive members of our wards.  We set out and made some good progress contacting about 16 of them.  It is neat to see how people respond when they realize they are missed. 
 We shared a verse out of the Book of Mormon with each of them and they thanked us for the visit.  The spirit does truly work on the heart if the right situation and right preparation are made.  “Those who have read [the Book of Mormon] prayerfully, be they rich or poor, learned or unlearned, have grown under its power. … Without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your hearts … the Spirit of the Lord. There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God” -Gordon B. Hinkley.   This is something that I have been privileged to experience while studying each and everyday for 10 months straight. 

While out contacting people this week (proselyting) we met a really old cute grandpa at one of the doors.  He was confused as to why we were there and kept asking me to repeat myself because he was partly deaf.  I read him a scripture tilting my head up, and holding the Book of Mormon over my head so he could read my lips...let me tell ya, any car driving by probably thought I was dancing with a book and yelling at an old innocent man at the same time.  I laughed afterwards.  But everyone deserves to hear it...whether or not they are hard of hearing!

Another lady we contacted told us that her sister needed to be saved so we should go preach to her.  Hmmm...I ask her then, "So, you're saved....am I saved?"  And she goes, "Hunny have you given your life ova to the Lawd?"  “Yes m'am” was my response.  And then she raised her hands and said, "Why yes child!  I'd say you were!"  In the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we believe relatively the same thing.  We try to live each day as our Savior would, right?  We just believe that we are also judged by our acts and are not saved by grace alone.  Few differences, but there is enough common ground for all of us to get along!
I'm not quite sure what this means:-)
I love being able to attend 2 wards every Sunday.  I am learning more about how to observe the Sabbath and treat it special rather than like another ordinary day. 
What did the Savior mean when He said that “the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath?” I believe He wanted us to understand that the Sabbath was His gift to us, granting real respite from the rigors of daily life and an opportunity for spiritual and physical renewal. God gave us this special day, not for amusement or daily labor but for a rest from duty, with physical and spiritual relief.  In Hebrew, the word Sabbath means “rest.” 
When participating in an activity on Sunday, ask yourself the question: 
“What sign do I want to give to God?”

I know that although some days may be hard, and things don't always go our way, if we persevere we will make it with Christ and his Atonement.  That is not the light waiting at the end of the tunnel...that is the thing pushing us through and helping us towards our goal. 
"What does it mean to endure? I love this definition: to withstand with courage. Courage may be necessary for you to believe; it will at times be necessary as you obey. It will most certainly be required as you endure until that day when you will leave this mortal existence." -President Monson.

It is so true. I know it, I live it, I love it.
Sister Mallory Golden

No comments:

Post a Comment