Monday, September 15, 2014

First Week in Raleigh, NC

This week on September 8th, I arrived in Raleigh North Carolina.  21 of us missionaries stayed over at the Mission President's house, getting the run down and being interviewed before we actually started.

                                                             Longest Day Ever!
  
The next day, or the 9th, we were assigned to our areas.  I will be in Jacksonville North Carolina for at least 3 months. This is MARINE town. Two bases and lots of military personnel, right on the coast so lots of hurricanes and rain as well.  Great!
We drove to the church house where transfers for the other missionaries were being held.  Us newbies had to go over some 'entering the field' information before we met our trainers.  These are missionaries who have been out for over 6-9 months and will take you and teach you everything there is to know about missionary life.  

The next few hours was just some more training, lunch, and then we were set free to travel to our new destination.  I got my luggage, bike and companion into a small 4 door car which was quite impressive.  We drove three hours to the coast and arrived in Jacksonville.  I was asleep for most of the ride since the last two days I had been traveling since 2:30 in the morning.  
When we arrived we dropped my stuff off, got ready to leave, and went to meet an investigator at the church for young single adult meeting.  I got to meet a few people here, but not very many.  As our day was pretty much over, we headed back to our apartment and did evening planning.  It was weird going to bed thinking I will be here for the next three months.

                                                              New Address:
                                                            8 Port West Ct
                                                            Apt/Unit D
                                                            Swansboro, NC  28584

                                                              My Apartment

On Tuesday we got up at 6:30, exercised, got ready, studied, studied, and studied, then had District Meeting to go to.  This was with the one pair of sisters, two senior missionary couples and two sets of elders that are in our area.  The elders told me it takes about a year to get used to missionary life... the butt.  That totally freaked me out and was not good for a one day old missionary to hear.
  
We did some FB proselyting, set up a few appointments with some New Members, and then went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner with a member.  We came back to teach a lesson to one of our investigators named Victoria who is a new marine and wants what this gospel has to offer.  We were teaching her about the Word of Wisdom and were talking a little bit about baptism.  I felt the spirit telling me that she was ready for baptism.  So I did what any missionary would do that is about 12 hours new in the field.  I asked her if she would follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized on October 25th.  SHE SAID YES!  My first day and I get a baptismal commitment!  I was shocked and excited and could barely hear anything because my heart was beating so fast!  I kill myself, ha ha.

The next few days were a little more slow because we had weekly planning, (where you plan for the week for like 3 hours), I had to unpack, we had to grocery shop, and then just plan our lessons for later in the week.  But a few highlights or exciting things were the flash floods that happened.  Twice this week it rained so much in such a short time that it flooded.  The lighting and thunder didn't help the situation at all of course!  Next, we helped a family move in about two days.  They are less active so it was a good way to get some missionaries back into their lives.  We had dinner with the Relief Society President on Saturday night and then an AWESOME family on Sunday night.  I really like both of them.  The Latter family is into fitness and eating healthy so we clicked right away and got along just fine.  Both of them had served missions in Brazil and you could feel their spirits so strongly.  They also have this spiritual connection between them which I think is amazing.  I really admire her.  

Church was really great- I was able to meet more of the ward and get to know more people.  Its hard teaching lessons when you have no idea who the heck anyone is.  The people are really welcoming and loving and all have southern accents; so it's pretty cute. Although I personally refuse to say, "ya'll".  I am not from the south, therefore I will say, "you-all" haha.  

                                                         Jacksonville 3rd Ward

Anyways, I know this was more along the boring side, but what else can you expect from the first week?!  I love you all and miss you so much.  I have had a great experience in the Book of Mormon this week, with receiving answers to my prayers.  I know that the more time we spend in the Book of Mormon, the more applicable it is in our lives and has a greater chance of aiding us when times get tough.  Keep reading in the book of Mormon!
Lots of Love, Sister Mallory Golden!

PS- I would love to get some letters as well:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment